Friday, September 24, 2010

Cottage

The image above is a demo piece which I have painted at the watercolor class last Wednesday. Some students of my class thought the subject I have been choosing for the class is too much for them. Come to think of it, we have real beginners to advanced students in our class, it was reasonable comment to make. So, I chose easier subject this time. After all, I think it is good to use a simple example to explain the important elements of painting, such as composition, contrast and more.

2 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Osamu,
The work is beautiful as usual. Regarding teaching, if I were you after demonstration,
1) divide class
2) respect students levels
3) celebrate each achievement
Teaching is learning for teachers. My rule of thumb is "respect students." I'd always appreciate students' any feedback that is spot on and a mirror of me. Good encouragement gives anyone self-esteem and confidence. Personally, I'm not so interested in technical advice, but assist others to have fun in watercolor. That's my goal and start for anyone. Like others, I'm a life long learner.
Kind regards, Sadami

Watercolor by Osamu said...

Hi Sadami

Thank you for your good advice.
"Teaching is learning for a teacher" is so true.
I am learning from my students, too.
I was not interest to teach a class until I got an opportunity to teach watercolor at Yosemite seven years ago. But now I have a local watercolor class and I have been learning to be a good instructor since then.